Farmers Union Insurance
Kyle DeVries

521 Dakota Ave Suite A
Wahpeton, ND 58075

Email Me
Phone: (701) 642-3916
Cell Phone: (701) 640-0688
Fax: (701) 642-4916

Office Hours:
8:00 - 5:00, M-F
Request a Quote
Request a Quote
By Email or call us
(701) 642-3916
(701) 642-3916


Our claims and support services department is here to provide you with the highest level of customer service. At QBE Farmers Union Insurance, we realize that every auto policy sold is a promise of service. We have trained auto claims adjustors, ensuring that your car insurance claim is settled quickly and fairly, because we understand how important service is to us - and to you.

General types of auto insurance coverage include property, liability and medical. Uninsured and underinsured auto coverage pays you and the other passengers in the car if the driver who crashed into your car has no insurance or has insufficient auto insurance.


What is Replacement Cost? Replacement cost is the cost to repair or replace the damaged item with an item of like, kind, and quality, without deduction for age, use, or obsolescence.


What is Actual Cash Value (ACV)? Actual cash value is based on the cost to repair or replace the damaged item with an item of like, kind, and quality, less an adjustment for factors such as age, use, deterioration and/or obsolescence.


How is depreciation calculated? The most common method of calculating depreciation is based on the life expectancy of the item, with adjustments made for the item's age and condition.
For example: The typical life expectancy of a composition roof is 25 years which means that under normal conditions the roof depreciates at a rate of 4 percent per year.
A loss involving a 10 year old roof with typical wear and tear may be handled as such:

  • 10 years x 4% depreciation per year = 40% depreciation.
  • The actual cash value of the roof is 60% of the repair or replacement amount (100% - 40% depreciation = 60%).

How will I be reimbursed? Your policy may have Replacement Cost coverage on your home and/or personal property. If it does, full reimbursement may take place in the form of two or more payments. You will receive an initial payment corresponding with the claims representative's estimate. This initial payment may be for the full cost, or for the Actual Cash Value, of the repair. If the payment is for actual cash value, an "amount for recoverable depreciation" will be listed on the estimate. This amount can be claimed upon completion of the repair.


How do I apply for the recoverable depreciation? To receive the recoverable depreciation, you must submit itemized receipts/invoices pertaining to the completed repairs. QBE Farmers Union Insurance will pay the amount withheld or the difference between the initial payment and completed repair bill, whichever is less. Submit the invoice or receipt to your local claims representative making sure to include your claim number.


Are there deadlines I must meet to receive the recoverable depreciation? Yes. You must notify your claims representative, in writing, of your intent to make a claim under the replacement cost provision within 180 days of the date of loss. The actual repair or replacement must then be completed by a specified date.


What happens if the property estimate is not sufficient? If you have a problem getting the repairs completed for the amount estimated, please call your QBE Farmers Union Insurance claims representative prior to hiring a contractor. We may be able to assist you in locating a competent contractor to do the work for the estimated amount. If there is a difference in the scope of repairs we will work to obtain an agreed upon scope with your contractor.


What advice do you have for locating a reliable contractor? Selecting a contractor and arranging for repairs is the property owner's responsibility. It is usually best to select a local repair firm that has operated in your area for several years. Additional considerations are to make sure the contractor is insured, bonded, and will provide you with a written guarantee.


Why is my mortgage holder listed on your payment? If a mortgage holder is listed on your policy, we are required to include the name on payments relating to that property.


If I suffer a water loss, what should I do? Contact your agent or our 24/7 Call Center and report your claim. Your agent or one of our claims representatives can assist you with finding a local water restoration company. The water restoration company can assist you in the damage mitigation process.


What actions should I take after a loss? Protect your property from further damage or loss by making reasonable temporary repairs. Notify QBE Farmers Union Insurance promptly by calling our toll free number 1-866-NFU-Loss, or by contacting your QBE Farmers Union Insurance Agent Retain a record of repair costs. If theft or vandalism causes the loss, notify the police. If the loss is related to a bank electronic fund transfer or credit card, notify the financial institution.

What do I need to document? Good ideas are: Videotape your property, take an inventory of your belongings, keep your records in a safe place - safety deposit box

What information do I need when reporting a claim? Be ready to provide: Your name and address, names and addresses of witnesses or injured persons, general loss information, your policy number.

What Should I do after an Auto Loss or Accident? Contact the police if the loss is due to an accident. Collect the loss information including: description of and specific damages to all vehicles, names and addresses of all individuals involved or witnesses to the loss. Contact QBE Farmers Union Insurance with your loss/accident information. Be ready to provide your name and address, names and addresses of witnesses or injured persons, and general loss information. Have your auto policy number available. Promptly send QBE Farmers Union Insurance of any letters, notices or legal papers you receive about the accident. You may be asked to submit proof of loss documentation. If you received treatment for injuries, you may be asked to submit that information as well.

Will My Premium Increase if I File a Claim? Depending on your policy, the length of time you've had QBE Farmers Union Insurance, and the laws and regulations in your state, your premium may not increase.
You may want to discuss any concerns you have with your agent.

Do I Need to File a Claim against My Auto Policy if I was Not at Fault for an Accident? Filing a claim against your policy could help protect you in case there are covered damages or injuries discovered later or if the other driver's insurance company fails to reimburse you for the damages. If you become involved in litigation because of a covered accident, your QBE Farmers Union Insurance policy could help you by providing legal counsel.

What's a Deductible? The deductible is the portion of a covered loss you pay before the insurance company becomes responsible for payment under the policy. For example, if your covered claim is $2,000 and your applicable deductible is $500, you pay $500 and QBE Farmers Union Insurance then pays the remaining amount of $1,500.

I Was Not at Fault for the Accident. Will I Have to Pay the Deductible? Regardless of who was at fault, your policy requires a deductible for certain coverages. If the claim investigation determines there's a chance to recover the damages from the person responsible for the accident, we'll attempt to recover them, including your deductible and will reimburse you when we receive payment.

Do I Need to File a Police Report for Loss or Theft? It is always a good idea to file a police report when you experience damage or theft.

Does QBE Farmers Union Insurance Investigate for Possible Fraud?  We employ a special investigative unit to help identify and control claims that may involve fraud. If you suspect fraud, please contact your claims representative or call 1-800-347-1961, Ext. 2634.

What are recycled parts? Recycled parts are those that have been previously used and are salvaged from vehicles that are no longer in service. Recycled parts have long been used in the automobile repair industry. They are often more readily available than brand-new dealer distributed parts and less expensive. Using recycled parts is also an environmentally friendly, energy conserving alternative to brand new dealer distributed parts. At QBE Farmers Union Insurance we will not specify a recycled part that does not meet the standard of like kind and quality.

What are Remanufactured parts? Remanufactured parts are original equipment manufactured parts that have sustained minor cosmetic damage and have been repaired by a competent re-manufacturer. These parts look and perform equivalent to brand- new OEM parts. Most re-manufacturers will warranty these parts for as long as you own your vehicle.

What are Non-original equipment manufacturer parts (non-OEM)? Non-OEM parts, which are sometime referred to as after-market parts are those that are manufactured by someone other than the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). At QBE Farmers Union Insurance we specify only CAPA or MQVP certified sheet metal parts on vehicles that are two model years or older. CAPA (Certified Automotive Parts Association) and MQVP (Manufacturers' Qualification and Validation Program) are organizations that test and certify the quality of non-OEM parts. The CAPA and MQVP certification is your assurance that the part is the functional equivalent to an OEM part and meets generally accepted industry standards for fit, finish and corrosion protection. These parts are backed by a warranty from the manufacturer that is often for as long as you own your vehicle.

Lately there has been a lot of adverse publicity regarding the use of non-OEM parts. Some OEM manufacturers have been behind campaigns to sway public opinion that non- OEM parts are unsafe and inferior to OEM parts. This is simply not true. CAPA and MQVP certified parts, when installed by a qualified auto body repairer provide a safe, high quality repair. Collision repair sheet metal parts for the most part are cosmetic in nature and do not impact vehicle safety. The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) has concluded that cosmetic crash parts do not warrant safety standards for OEM or non-OEM parts. Recent blind comparison test conducted by the CIC (Collision Industry Conference) have shown that non-OEM parts are often rated higher than equivalent OEM parts. CIC is comprised of members of the auto repair, insurance and other industries concerned with auto-body repair issues.

Utilizing non-OEM parts promotes competition within the repair part distribution channels which helps keep replacement part prices in line. Consumers have been buying non-OEM mechanical parts such as shock absorbers, tires, batteries and brake parts for some time. These and many other parts have been recognized as functional equivalent replacements for OEM parts and are available at lower prices through non- OEM distribution channels. OEM manufacturers have lowered their prices on many collision repair parts such as bumpers and hoods since non-OEM parts have become available on the market.

We at QBE Farmers Union Insurance believe that it is important for every automobile owner and every automobile insurance policyholder to have non-OEM parts available in the market as an alternative to more expensive OEM crash parts. By specifying quality alternative replacement parts we are validating our commitment to you to keep your insurance premiums as low as possible.

We want to help you with your claim in whatever way makes things easiest for you. You can call us directly at (701) 642-3916, or check the back of your Insurance ID Card for the 800 number. 

To have us provide a quote for any of these services, please call us directly at (701) 642-3916 or you can use the online quote request form and we will get right back with you.

Farmers Union Insurance
521 Dakota Ave Suite A
Wahpeton, North Dakota  58075
Serving Fargo Metro Area
Phone: (701) 642-3916
Cell: (701) 640-0688
Fax: (701) 642-4916
Website –
Farmers Union Insurance | 5619 DTC Parkway, Suite 300 | Greenwood Village, CO 80111